For many years the name ‘geek’ has been used in a derogatory way to refer to intelligent people with an imagination. Which has always baffled the community as, to be honest, what could possibly be wrong with having ample grey matter between the ears?
Alas, the abuse continued for a long time until very recently when ‘geeks’ reclaimed the name and wore it like a badge of honour.
In this article, we’re going to talk about what makes a person a geek, what kind of things they like, and what to buy them for gifts. And more importantly…do girls like geeks? Has the dry spell ended for the nerdy, sci-fi loving, merch grabbing gamers? Or is it finally cool/sexy to be a geek? Read on to find out!
What makes a person a geek?
So, what makes a person a geek?
The best definition of ‘geek’ we’ve come across is: “A person whose interests ALWAYS take precedence over popularity or conformity.”
- Do you love sci-fi and fantasy and you’re not afraid to show it?
- Are you a shameless D’n’D enthusiast?
- Are you a regular gamer?
- Do you have toys and merchandise still in its original packaging?
- Do you correct people on their grammar?
Congratulations, you’re probably a geek!
What do geeks like?
Geeks like a wide variety of different things. Some geeks love all things nerdy, while others have very specific areas of interest. For example, they may enjoy fantasy (e.g., Harry Potter / The Lord of the Rings), while not enjoying sci-fi (e.g., Star Wars and The Walking Dead).
You could say that geeks love anything that isn’t rooted in reality. They relish escapism through fictional worlds and fall in love with well-written lore, quality character development, and things that go clang and boom!
There are no set criteria for what geeks enjoy. It can vary significantly. However, most geeks are very open-minded when it comes to anything fantasy and sci-fi related.
What do you buy a geek?
Any Official Geek Merch will please the nerdy type! You just have to find out what they are interested in specifically and buy them something related to that.
For example, if they are HUGE Harry Potty fans, get them some Harry Potter related merchandise.
Or if they prefer Star Wars, there are loads of quality collectibles that they’d love to get their hands on.
The truth is, geeks are actually some of the easiest people to buy for given just how much geek-related merchandise there is available on the market today!
Do girls like geeks?
There’s no denying, the ladies have always liked geeks. Certainly, the nerdy type isn’t for everyone, but the world keeps producing them so someone must have been shacking up with the shy, quiet types all these years.
The fact is, people, find confidence attractive. So long as you are comfortable with who you are and are not afraid to be yourself, you will never have any trouble attracting a partner.
As the saying goes: “If you can’t love yourself, how can you expect someone else to love you?”
If you have been worried about the prospect of never falling in love, don’t let it get you down. All in good time. Ladies do love geeks; you just have to find the right one!
From one, long-standing, self-proclaimed geek to another, here’s my advice on securing yourself a wonderful lady with similar interests to you:
- Keep an open mind: we geeks are notorious for being stubborn and unmoving when it comes to what we like and don’t like. Understand that other people like different things so embrace and encourage it. You must also be open to watching things that you don’t love from time to time. It’s all about give and take.
- Look after yourself (mentally and physically): it’s OK to spend all of your spare time gaming and binge-watching Star Wars – just as long as you make time to eat well and exercise. Geeks are supposed to be intelligent, and there’s nothing intelligent about allowing your body to fall into disrepair because you’re too busy levelling up in-game.
- Don’t lord your intelligence over people: it’s good to be smart but it’s not OK to lord it over people. Making people feel bad for not knowing as much as you do is not an attractive quality. Be humble.
- Level up in life first: one of the biggest mistakes many geeks make is sinking far too much time into their hobbies before establishing a career for themselves. Yes, make time to play games and enjoy yourself, but focus on establishing a life for yourself ‘IRL’ first and foremost. Be the hero of your story.
- Don’t hide who you are: never be ashamed of who you are and what you enjoy. Passion is an attractive quality and so you must always be proud of the things that you are passionate about. Never back down or shy away from your hobbies. One of the best quotes to live by is: “Those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind”.
- A geek is: “a person whose interests ALWAYS take precedence over popularity or conformity.”
- Geeks love all things sci-fi and fantasy-related!
- You can buy a geek almost anything as long as it’s nerdy, collectible merch!
- The ladies do love geeks!
The age of the geek has arrived! It’s a big, beautiful and diverse world out there and finally, the geek community are getting the recognition they deserve.
Lean into your passions and take pride in being a little nerdy!
Life is short and you should fill it with all of the things that make you feel good.
“Live long and prosper muchachos!”